Employment-Based Petitions

Permanent Employment-Based Visas

There are a variety of ways to petition for lawful permanent residence through employment in the Unites States.

The five employment-based immigrant visa categories include:

  • First preference (EB-1): Priority workers who have extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, outstanding professors and researchers, or certain multinational managers and executives
  • Second preference (EB-2): Workers with advanced degrees or exceptional ability
  • Third preference (EB-3): Professional, skilled, or other workers
  • Fourth preference (EB-4): Certain special immigrants
  • Fifth preference (EB-5): Foreign investors in new commercial enterprises

Most employment-based immigrant visas are subject to various numerical limits. Under some of the employment-based visa categories listed above, the prospective employer may be required to obtain a labor certification from the Department of Labor verifying that there are no other qualified U.S. workers willing or able to accept the position at the prevailing wage.

Temporary Worker Visas

A variety of temporary (nonimmigrant) visa classifications allow employers to hire and petition for foreign nationals to live and work in the United States for limited periods of time, after which the foreign nationals must leave the country. While there are several nonimmigrant visa categories, some of the most common categories handled by our firm include R-1 visas for religious workers, L-1 visas for intracompany transferees, H1-B visas for specialty occupations, O-1 visas for extraordinary ability workers, and P visas for athletes, entertainers, and skilled performers.

Goren & Barreto makes it easy to complete your green card application and avoid common mistakes.

With over 50 years of combined experience, our attorneys have successfully represented many religious workers and extraordinary ability athletes in obtaining lawful permanent residence (often referred to as a “green card”) in the United States. You will surely benefit from the support of a knowledgeable attorney at Goren & Barreto who can identify solutions to getting your visa and guide you through government organizations like the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), Department of Labor (DOL), Department of State (DOS), and Immigration Courts.

Contact us for an appointment to discuss your legal options with an experienced immigration attorney.