Temporary Visas

Temporary (nonimmigrant) visas may be issued to foreign nationals seeking to enter the United States for school, tourism, visiting relatives, medical treatment, business, or certain temporary work. The type of nonimmigrant visa needed to enter the U.S. is related to the purpose of travel, and most nonimmigrant visas are issued only to applicants who can demonstrate their intentions to return to their home country.

Students and Professionals

The terms of a nonimmigrant visa typically require that the visa holder leaves the U.S. within a certain time frame. Once a person has entered the country in nonimmigrant status, they are restricted to the activity or reason for which they were allowed entry. For example, students must continue to be enrolled in school to remain within the terms of their visa. Most temporary workers must work for the employer that sponsored them and have limited ability to change jobs. Temporary workers may stay up to six years, while traders and investors may extend their stay indefinitely.

Tourists and Other Visitors

Nonimmigrant visas allow visitors to the U.S. for vacation or pleasure, or visitors seeking medical treatment, for a maximum of six months. Other visa categories are available for exchange-visitors through an established State Department program, intracompany transferees, or artists, athletes, and entertainers of recognized extraordinary ability. These visitors may stay up to three years maximum to accomplish the purpose of entry. For a fiancée visa, the fiancée of a U.S. citizen must marry that citizen within 90 days of entry.

Immigrants seeking permanent residence are typically sponsored by a relative (see Family-Based Petitions) or employer (see Employment-Based Petitions).

Goren & Barreto supports temporary workers, students, tourists, and other visitors to the United States in obtaining nonimmigrant visas.

We also help with applications for extensions of temporary stay, political asylum, temporary protective status, and adjustment of status from one temporary category to another or from a temporary visa to a permanent visa category.

Contact us to learn which visa categories you are eligible for and discuss your immigration strategy.