Family-Based Petitions

Family-based petitions allow for U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents to sponsor their family members for lawful permanent residence (often referred to as a “green card”).

Typically, the process to acquire a family-based immigrant visa involves the filing of an I-130 petition by the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (the “petitioner”) on behalf of the intended immigrant (the “beneficiary”). Depending on the specific circumstances of your case, the beneficiary may either apply for adjustment of status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or for an immigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy.

Immediate Relatives

Spouses, parents, and unmarried children under the age of 21 are classified as immediate relatives. Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens are not subject to numerical limits on the number of immigrant visas available each year. All other qualifying relationships are considered family preference categories.

Family Preference

Relatives in the following categories are subject to various numerical limits on the number of immigrant visas that can be issued each year:

  • First preference (F-1): Unmarried adult children (age 21 and over) of U.S. citizens
  • Second preference (F-2): Spouses, minor children (under 21), or unmarried adult children (age 21 and over) of lawful permanent residents
  • Third preference (F-3): Married adult children of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth preference (F-4): Siblings (brothers or sisters) of U.S. citizens

Goren & Barreto can assist you with consular processing or adjustment of status to obtain a family-based immigrant visa.

Our attorneys will determine the type of petition required to obtain your green card (lawful permanent residence), thoroughly review your situation to identify any issues, and work with you to complete the application and collect the necessary documents to expedite the process.

Contact us for a consultation to get the best legal advice possible.